Tuesday, 1 November 2016

Weedy Wildness

Amid the mind boggling cacophony of senseless feelings and non-sensical thoughts sometimes some impetuous actions arise. My blog was one of those actions and this NaBloPoMo Challenge is another such decision prompted by Swati mam's FB post, which I'm sure I am gonna enjoy very much!!

Since serendipitously today is John Keats' birthday. One of the greatest second generation English Romantic poets and my very first inspiration I have got to dedicate this post to him. He was this young man who loved words as much as he loved nature. He understood and dared to explore nature through his own words. For him nature was the ultimate beauty and this beauty was the ultimate joy of his life.

The search for that joy, the aspiration of that engrossing feeling of fulfillment, the anticipation of that pure happiness is what makes me stay awake late into night and contemplate about my encounters with plants that happened earlier in the day.

Today while tending to my emerging saplings of lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and such I came across a cute little plant growing resolutely in the middle of my broccoli saplings, showing off its bright pink tiny flowers arranged in a spike.  Such was the attraction of this weed that while weeding I removed all grass, cyperus and inedible amaranth species but just couldn't harden my heart enough to pull out this little darling.

It was not the beauty of those tiny pink flowers that softened my heart before I could pull it out. It was not that this weed was doing any favour for my broccoli saplings by imperiously growing in between them. It was the audaciousness, the wildness and the fearless way this one single plant dared to grow and thrive in between my basket full of broccoli saplings that attracted me.

This one little plant with its weedy wildness consoles me and gives me hope that there is some place for a wild plant like me in this world too. In this basket full of broccoli saplings I could not only survive but thrive and flower.

Digera muricata (Amaranthaceae)
False Amaranth

5 comments: